Sunday, January 09, 2011

Needs/Wants for 2011

First and foremost I would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year. It has been just shy of three months since my last post which is far too long.I think it's time to start getting back to it. Let's do a little recap on 2010 shall we...

2010 was a big year for me. My transitions to NY really unfolded, I moved into an apartment with the best roommates anyone could have and I found some stability in the direction(s) that I am going in. I ended the year celebrating the young lives that were lost, redirecting myself and analyzing my goals and ambitions for the next few years to come.

The New Year serves as a great place to press the 'do over' button. Or more so, the 'restart' button. Each year is spent learning more about oneself, experiencing life and exploring the options of creating the 'path' that we all see ourselves going down. I think for me this past year was monumental. After having a rugged two years in New York (career wise) I have regained the confidence and strength that I was lacking for far too long. As of now, my career path is heading in a more positive direction. Although I may not be doing what I want to do for the "rest of my life" right now, I have goals. My current employment is, for lack of a better word, fun. I enjoy my time while at work and look at this as a perfect transition job. It allows me to stay afloat financially all the while it shines some light on this dreary city. All in all, I feel fortunate.

It isn't easy "growing up" in today's society. What does that even mean, to grow up? Is it financial independence? Graduating from a respected college, getting married and having babies? How does the stress of the social norm affect you? Because for me, I feel abnormal and almost out of the loop when it comes to it. I am slowly learning that the norm is obsolete and that we all have our own definition of what "happiness" is. What does happiness mean to you? How is it any different from your peers? And most importantly, are you being true to yourself? Those are questions I ask myself almost every day...

Here are some of my 'Needs' and 'Wants' for 2011...

NEEDS
1) Create a game plan...for life... (How ambiguous I know...)
2) Constant personal affirmation that there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to grow up...
3) To go on more adventures...
4) Travel , internationally and domestic...
5) Write more snail mail...
6) Remind the ones I love that they mean the world to me...
7) Scan all 83478374 Polaroids and get crackin on publishing my book...
8) Get my studio space up and running (I gave myself until the end of Jan to get this done)...
9) DRAW/PAINT everyday ...this is an understatement
10) READ/ WRITE/BLOG everyday, again...another understatement...
11) Stay physically focused...health wise...
12) Say what's on my mind more often then none.
13) Spend more time with family. This a big one. I think this is something people realize the older they get.
14) To get a website up and running.
15) Explore...

WANTS
1) More inspirational moments...
2) To go skydiving, again...
3) Cross country road trip (I've never been to the West Coast)...
4) A healthy romantic relationship...
5) A bicycle
6) More motorcycle rides, picnics, beach adventures, nights under the stars...
7) Camping/fishing trip(s)
8) Museum endeavors
9) Live music
10) Make-out sessions
11) Shelves for my room so I can finally unpack...
12) To never settle for less than what I deserve.
and 13) To find a way to make a change/ difference in this crazy world...

I have faith that things work out the way we all want them to in the long run. We all have more control over our lives then we think we do, it's all about taking the risks. I'm a firm believer that there is no such thing as failure, that we all learn from our mistakes/misfortunes. My mother always says that there is a a positive in every negative. I believe in that wholeheartedly. I also feel that there is a bigger plan for all of us, we just need to have trust in it and in ourselves through the decisions and actions we make.

Here's to a new year, new beginnings and to the rigorous process of following our dreams.

I shall leave you with one of my favorite quotes.

"Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it’s very important that you do it because nobody else will." - Gandhi

No comments: